Sunday, December 7, 2014

Little Flatiron Landmark in Reynoldstown

I've always had a crush on it, always wanted it be something, always wanted an excuse to visit.

"The plan of streets in Reynoldstown is a series of small grids that connect awkwardly to one another...forming T-shaped intersections..." - National Register of Historic Places Registration Form February, 2003

The crazy curvy diagonal of Flat Shoals Avenue gives rise to some "odd shaped lots" that make Reynoldstown perpetually interesting to me.


My eye always stops at this little flatiron. It shows on all four sides and even its backside is cute. It's pretty much at the center of "downtown" Reynoldstown.

20141204_121554 Yolkspace Gallery Reynoldstown 166 Stovall Street circa
It's been boarded up as long as I remember then a hair salon.

Let's have a look around.

20141204_121446 Yolkspace Gallery Reynoldstown 166 Stovall Street
The front looks like a face to me. You?

20141206_120456 2014-12-06 yolkspace first HOLIDAY MARKET DEC 6 and 7 Reynoldstown
The streetcar to East Lake, Decatur, and the Soldiers Home ran on the right side.

IMG_5232 2014-12-06 yolkspace first HOLIDAY MARKET DEC 6 and 7 Reynoldstown



IMG_5231 2014-12-06 yolkspace first HOLIDAY MARKET DEC 6 and 7 Reynoldstown


IMG_5230 2014-12-06 yolkspace first HOLIDAY MARKET DEC 6 and 7 Reynoldstown

20141204_121554 2014-12-04 Yolkspace Gallery Reynoldstown 166 Stovall Street

IMG_5229 2014-12-06 yolkspace first HOLIDAY MARKET DEC 6 and 7 Reynoldstown


Update: Thanks to Lisa: Flatiron in Red via Streetview:

2014-12-08 shot 166 Stovall as hair salon Reynoldstown old streetview in red 2
Perhaps you can tell me a little more about this place.





7 comments:

  1. It was once a mattress repair shop (in the 1950's). In the 80's it was a mechanic shop, you could drive your car right into the large square opening in the front. I believe it was once a pharmacy very early on, but haven't been able to find out for sure. (I used to work in the bright blue building across the street.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mechanic shop was Triangle Auto Service. My father-in-law purchased the building many years ago and because it was in a triangle, that is how the name came to be. conyerss490@yahoo.com

      Delete
    2. Sorry but I put in the wrong email ... it is conyers490@yahoo.com

      Delete
  2. I think that's now YOLKspace, artist Danielle Brutto's workspace/venue: https://www.facebook.com/YOLKSPACE

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please edit, it's Reynoldstown... It's pretty much at the center of "downtown" Cabbagetown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Corrections are always welcome and ususally needed, thanks so much.

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful post to find!
    This piece of land was once owned by my grandfather in the early 60's. It was formerly a mattress shop and my grandfather made it into a one bay automobile service shop ... Triangle Auto Service, hence the triangular piece of property that it sat on. My father would go by after school and work there with him.
    My father bought the building and company from my grandfather in the early 70's and operated it into the mid 80's on Stovall Street. I have such fond memories of the shop and the area. My sister and I would get to visit when we were little and loved playing in the playground across the street! Although it was a one bay garage, they could pull two cars in to work on and if they played their cards right and turned the cars sideways, via a car jack, they could fit three cars in. My father would park his car each morning in the "backyard". Back then, the shop was pine green and had a big iron gate across the front opening. For 20+ years this very property was a very important part of my family's life.
    What a lovely surprise to run across this post. Thank you so much for sharing these beautiful pictures and this post and thank you for your admiration of this building .. and, for the record, my daddy would have gladly welcomed you in to peek around :)

    mrscmyeager at hotmail

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive